Republican Candidate for US Congress in NY’s 5th Congressional District (2004 Archived Material). Won Primary Election and lost the General Election to Gary Ackerman. ABOUT STEPHEN
Make your voice heard…
My name is STEPHEN GRAVES and I need your Vote for US Congress on November 2 …
- I want to be your voice in our government. Too many politicians believe that because they have been in office forever they don’t have to answer to you anymore. Instead they listen to party bosses and special interests that give them money rather than fighting for their constituents. That is why they are constantly voting against common sense legislation that would help real people in their own districts while voting for tax increases and regulations that hurt people in their own districts. We can do better then this and we will.If you will elect me I will work night and day for you to:
- Cut taxes and regulations for small businesses, middle class families and seniors to create jobs and opportunity.
- Reform the Immigration bureaucracy to ensure a quicker, safer, clearer, and fairer system.
- Push for better schools including charter schools and vouchers to help our children get the education they deserve and to empower their parents.
- Reform Healthcare by getting Seniors and working families preventative care, control costs by curtailing the excesses of trial lawyers that are bankrupting the system and extend coverage options for small businesses, the self-employed and others in need.
- Safeguard Social Security benefits for current and future retirees by allowing the option of private management accounts for a portion of earnings to ensure the system remains solvent and meets its obligations. A promise made must be a promise kept!
- Keep the US actively engaged and working constructively with the many countries of origin our residents have ties with. The 5th Congressional District is one of the most demographically diverse in the Country.
- Ensure that sufficient federal money and attention is focused on keeping NYC safe from terrorism. This is New York – not Montana!
Please be sure to get out and vote in November!
Copyright 2004 | Graves for Congress
A Passionate New Yorker – with roots in the South Like many people living in New York’s 5th district, Stephen Graves immigrated to the greatest city in the world from elsewhere. Stephen Graves grew up in Tennessee, lived in Los Angeles and also abroad in Asia and Europe. Like many New Yorkers who are not homegrown Stephen Graves has come to passionately believe what Rudy Giuliani often said with such conviction – namely that “New York City is the Capital of the World!” Despite the high cost of living and other obstacles New Yorkers are confronted with daily Stephen Graves feels that there is no place on earth he would rather call home. It is a place worth fighting for. Like many New Yorkers, who through the years have moved to Northeastern Queens and Nassau County Stephen Graves cherishes the values, the quality of life and the sense of community that make our area special and unique.
Committed to Education Mr. Stephen Graves knows the value of a good education, both formal and vocational. First attending the University of Tennessee at Knoxville he later completed his studies at the Edinburgh Business School in Scotland receiving a Masters of Business Administration. Always looking to further his knowledge of local, national and international affairs he has also taken post graduate studies in National Security at the American Military University in Washington DC. From his travels, education and interaction with people of all walks of life Mr. Graves has learned among other things the importance of listening. Listening to the concerns and to the common sense of ones friends and neighbors in and of itself is an education. Because of this lifetime of experience, Stephen Graves is committed to removing obstacles that stand in the way of either you or your children receiving a world class education; whether those obstacles are the result of bureaucratic malaise, a lack of competition and meaningful alternatives or a lack of funding.
Solid Business Experience The son and grandson of industrious small business owners Stephen Graves has always been a self-starting entrepreneur. Stephen Graves knows what it is like to take all of ones savings, put it all into a business and work night and day to ensure that it succeeds. Steven Graves knows what it is like to make a payroll and strive to make ends meet. Stephen Graves is currently the President of Bio Nutrition Research Labs, a company committed to providing cutting edge research in nutrition and nutriceuticals for general health and fitness. Previously Stephen Graves founded and served as CEO of UNeCOM, Inc. a provider of managed identity authentication and validation services based on Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) technology. Stephen Graves also has been a consultant for both a toll road project and a 3 star hotel, in Indonesia.
Before moving to New York Stephen Graves started his professional career as a FOREX trader for an investment company in Los Angeles focusing on global foreign exchange, interest rate and financial markets, with a specialization in creating market-making opportunities in anomalous markets. He later went on to serve as the Vice President for Tiger International Fund, an offshore hedge fund. Afterwards, while registered as a Principle and as a Commodities Trading Advisor by the National Futures Association, Stephen Graves served as President of BIG Asset Management, Inc., a Commodities Pool Operator and was a member of the prestigious Market Technicians Association. Steven Graves experience working in the world on international investments has provided him with a keen insight into how actions around the world affect us at home. Among other object lessons drawn from this varied professional career are that small businesses are critical to job creation and lower taxes are fundamental to creating greater opportunity for all.
Committed to Community For more than 8 years Stephen has been active in the Greater New York Chamber of Commerce, serving as an International Business Advisor. He has also helped on their planning committee, reorganizing their priorities and strategic drive to focus on best serving the needs of small businesses. In this capacity, he has worked with numerous city organizations and community associations to solve common small business issues and act as an advocate for their concerns. Stephen has also recently agreed to serve as a Community Partner for the Chamber, responsible for helping to drive initiatives that increase economic development and facilitate small business growth in distressed areas of the city.
Mr. Graves also enjoys helping young people learn how to be self-starters, develop entrepreneurial skills and a positive work ethic. He works with Learning for Life, a program for disabled children, where he assists the Career Awareness program. This program works with the local schools to facilitate interaction between students, school guidance personnel and community members from business and other professions. Stephen, an Eagle Scout himself, also is a Career Speaker with Scouting’s Explorer Program which gives high school students the opportunity to gain insight into a career field of their choice and develop a road map for their future. In the past, Stephen also worked with Prison Fellowship, a program that helps prisoners and their families find hope and how the incarcerated can prepare to live responsibly both inside the prison system and when they get back into society. He has also served in the choir at Times Square Church, where he is a member.
Principled and Practical Stephen grew up in an area of the country where people are known for their friendliness, family values and the abiding belief that hard work and honesty are the keys to success. He knows how to work with others to find common ground to achieve fair and honest results without compromising his core principles.
A Better Representative One thing that Mr. Graves has learned in business is that to be successful you have to serve people, listen to what they have to say and meet their needs. Sadly, all too often, officials in government, like his opponent, forget this and focus on supporting policies that help their narrow group of friends and those in their party structure at the cost of the constituents they are hired to serve. Stephen knows what it is like to feel that there is no one who cares for your concerns and no one in government that listens or to help with your problem. That’s why he wants to be your voice in government and represent your interests, with an open door to raise the issues that you believe are important. And that is why he is asking for your vote and your support – let your voice be heard!
- Respect For Traditional Values I believe that Congress should show greater respect for traditional values … I believe that Americans have a right to expect that their representatives will exhibit the same common sense and respect for their values as they do for others. That is why I have pledged to uphold traditional marriage – between a man and a woman – to support legislation that would curtail the excesses of courts that threaten to unwind this fundamental institution. This in no way precludes us from being tolerant of others and respectful of their special needs. Survivorship issues, healthcare obstacles and other problems demand solutions and should be met with compassion and tolerance, not red tape.
- Death Penalty I believe that there are some crimes that truly deserve that a criminal pay the ultimate price. I also believe that anyone convicted and sentenced to death should receive an automatic appeal and DNA testing should be mandatory. Today’s testing methods and requiring a unanimous sentencing verdict should ensure that only the guilty are punished.
- Small Business I will work to lessen taxes and needless regulations on small businesses so that they can thrive and can hire more people. More than 90% of all jobs in our district are provided by hardworking small businesses. I want to make sure that government makes it easier for them to direct more of their capital at hiring more people and keep people working.
- INS Reform I will labor diligently to see immigration procedures reformed so that applicants can get speedy responses. There is no reason that people who have often sacrificed so much to legally get here should be held up waiting for years for even basic answers. My local office will have a section that will be ready to assist any immigration attorney or constituent who has a problem and needs help. At the same time, we absolutely MUST make sure that our borders are secure and that we do not continue to reward illegal behavior as we have done in the past. This will require significant increase in enforcement efforts, including physical barriers, increased penalties for businesses who knowingly hire illegals and a no nonsense approach to streamlining the INS court system to ensure that decisions are made quickly and accurately, increasing fairness and deporting those who do not obey our laws.
- Healthcare Reform I believe in getting healthcare costs to decline by focusing on preventative services so people don’t have to wait till they are sick to get care. I also consider it vital to controlling unnecessary costs so that more New Yorkers can afford to be covered by insurance plans. I also believe that health plans should cover prescription drugs purchased in Canada, UK, South Africa or other places who often have far cheaper prices of generic drugs. I am tired of the ridiculous drug prices needed to cover a $1 billion price tag to get a drug to market – all because of an antiquated, bloated beaurocracy that exists at the FDA.
- Retirement Benefits Reform I will work to make sure employees can secure their future retirements by having a choice to place a portion of their funds in private investment accounts while continuing to safeguard current retiree social security benefits. There is no need to disrupt benefits to current or soon to be retirees but we must do something to secure the future for tomorrow’s generation and I believe that this is best done by giving younger workers more choice in how their moneys are allocated and invested.
- Foreign Affairs As the worlds sole super power, I believe that the US has a continuing role to play in the world to safeguard its own interests and that of our allies. My experiences working with a number of foreign political leaders has helped me to understand how to work together with them to find ways in which they can benefit while promoting American vital interests. As Congressmen, I would keep the US actively engaged in many of the regions that interest communities in the 5th District, like the Middle East, Asia and South Asia.
THE FIFTH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT OF NEW YORK
The 5th Congressional district of New York encompasses the North Shore of Queens and Long Island.
Auburndale, Bayside, Bay Terrace, Beechhurst, Bell Park Gardens, Bell Park Manor, Corona, Douglaston, Douglaston Manor, East Elmhurst, Flushing, Glen Oaks, Hollis Hills, Holliswood, Jackson Heights, Jamaica Estates, Lefrak City, Linden Hill, Little Neck, Malba, Queensboro Hill, and Whitestone.
Albertson, Baxter Estates, East Williston, Flower Hill, Great Neck, Great Neck Estates, Great Neck Gardens, Great Neck Plaza, Greenvale, Kensington, Kings Point, Lake Success, Manhasset, Manhasset Hills, Manorhaven, Munsey Park, North Hills, New Hyde Park, Old Westbury, Plandome, Plandome Heights, Plandome Manor, Port Washington, Port Washington North, Roslyn, Roslyn Estates, Roslyn Harbor, Roslyn Heights, Russell Gardens, Saddle Rock, Saddle Rock Estates, Sands Point, Searingtown, Strathmore, University Gardens, Williston Park
GET INVOLVED – Posting a sign in your window – Attending rallies and speaking engagements – Distributing literature locally – Hosting a fundraiser – Emailing or writing letters to editors and opinion leaders – Mailing endorsement postcards – Handing out literature at local events – Volunteering at Headquarters – Providing transportation for voters on election day – Registering voters – Placing a banner on my website – Hosting a reception or coffee – Volunteering on Election day – Making telephone calls – Serving as a local campaign leader – Making a financial contribution – Sending letters/emails of support to friends and family
Endorsements of Stephen’s Campaign
- Queens County Republican Party
- Nassau County Republican Party
- Queens County Conservative Party
- Nassau County Conservative Party
- Bayside Conservative Club